One of our readers has kindly sent us this photo of a sign at the entrance to Watchetts Park. He included a few observations:
– Watchetts Park does NOT have football facilities – it is entirely dominated and used by the rugby club.
– The park does not have a putting area (I think there was pitch and putt quite some years ago but that is long gone).
– It does have cricket – in summer time – now that the rugby posts have been removed. It also has a fenced and netted section for cricket practice which I have never seen being used despite it being constantly maintained, the area remains permanently locked up.
– The park does have four public (tarmac) tennis courts available for hire – not just the posh all weather courts that are exclusive to Frimley Lawn Tennis Club.
– Watchetts Bowls Club folded several years ago – maybe four or five years and the clubhouse lies derelict (and condemned). The council did ask for bids to use the site and I believe received four offers (use by the rugby club, a nursery, a dog training facility and something else) but for whatever reason nothing has happened Despite that, it is worth noting that Glendale who maintain the park keep it clean and mowed to a very high standard – the best of all the parks in the area by a long way. It also has loos that are open in daytime and kept very clean for public loos! The main thing the park lacks is some picnic benches… there is one half derelict bench under the trees at the back of the park and a couple of seat benches along the side of the main rugby pitch but nothing else.
In other words… “the signpost is very much out of date and could be improved and corrected by the borough council with little effort or expense!”